Purpose of the Tool: To provide patients with an
easy to understand list of medications that includes indications as well
as dose, route, frequency and specific timing recommendations.
Submitter and Tool Author: Lindsay M. Arnold,
E-mail contact information: Lindsay.firstname.lastname@example.org
Date Tool Implemented: September 2005
Name of Institution: Boston Medical Center
Description of Institution: 547-bed academic,
inner-city medical center
Tool Format (paper-based, computer-based, on
handheld etc….): Paper based. Medications & instructions are
typed out and provided to patients prior to discharge.
Key Advantages Using this Tool:
Tips on Using this Tool
- Provides the patient with a centralized medication list that can
easily be posted at home, separate from other discharge
- Provides the patient with a list they can bring to a primary care
appointment to discuss and update with changes.
- Provides space for additional comments about specific medications,
ie take with food, take one hour before meals, etc.
- Provides more specific time options for patients on a more complex
- Should be provided in conjunction with verbal education.
- Should be provided enough time prior to discharge to allow patient
to review and have time for questions.
- May be time intensive as it cannot be linked to current medication
list in CPOE system, so all medications are typed out individually.
- Currently limited to English, or the languages of the provider.