Earn recognition for your research.
SHM's Junior Investigator Award was created for junior/early-stage investigators, defined as a faculty within 5 years of first faculty appointment. Applicants must be a hospitalist, clinician-investigator or a non-clinical investigator whose research interests focus on the care of hospitalized patients, the organization of hospitals or the practice of hospitalists. Applicants must be members of SHM in good standing. Nominations from mentors and self-nominations are both welcome.
Congratulations to the 2021 Award winner:
Matthew Pappas, MD, MPH, FHM.
Applications now open for the 2022 Jr. Investigator Award.
All submissions for the Junior Investigator Award require the following:
1. A single page cover letter that expresses the applicant's interest in the JIA award and confirms that they meet eligibility criteria
2. A letter of support from the department chair or supervisor (not to exceed one page)
3. Standard NIH Bio sketch (not to exceed five pages)
4. A one-page description of Specific Aims or Personal Aspirations. This document may be a specific aims page from a career development award and describes the key focus of the candidate's proposed research. Alternatively, the candidate may submit an overview of their research interests and how these intersect the practice of hospital-based medicine.
5. Supplementary information (not to exceed three pages) which should include each of the following:
- Area of Interest and Impact of research: the anticipated impact the research may have/has had on hospital medicine, the practice of inpatient medicine, or policies related to hospital-based care on a local, regional or national level.
- Career achievements and milestones: these should describe the candidate’s achievements in the form of scholarly products (e.g., abstracts, peer-reviewed publications, intra- and extra-mural grant funding, national/international invited talks)
- Engagement with the Society of Hospital Medicine: the candidate should describe in detail their involvement with the Society, including but not limited to: years of SHM membership; involvement with SHM committees, task forces or panels for scientific meetings; representing SHM for other societies, mentoring within SHM, participation/leadership in SHM programs or research; presentation of research at SHM meetings (abstracts, posters, and oral sessions); participation at SHM local or regional meetings (including local chapters); attendance at various SHM-sponsored activities including the SHM Academic Summit, the Academic Hospitalist Academy, etc.
Please note: All nominees must be SHM members in good standing. Nominees may be self-nominated.
What the Winner Receives
In honor of his or her achievements, the recipient receives:
- Complimentary one-year SHM membership and registration to SHM’s Annual Conference
- Recognition at SHM’s Annual Conference
- Acknowledgment in The Hospitalist, SHM’s monthly news magazine, and on SHM's website
How to Apply
Nominations now open. Please click here to apply.
If you have questions or need more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org