Earn recognition for your research.
SHM's Junior Investigator Award was created for junior/early-stage investigators, defined as a faculty within 7 years of first faculty appointment and title no higher than Assistant Professor (includes instructor or equivalent and Assistant Professor). Applicants must be a hospitalist, clinician-investigator or a non-clinical investigator whose research interests focus on the care of hospitalized patients, the organization of hospitals or the practice of hospitalists. Applicants must be members of SHM in good standing.
Nominations from mentors and self-nominations are both welcome.
Congratulations to the 2024 Award winner:
Paula Chatterjee, MD, MPH
Applications for the 2024 Jr. Investigator Award are now open! Click here to apply today.
Applications for the 2025 Jr. Investigator Award will open in July 2024.
All submissions for the Junior Investigator Award require the following:
1. A single page cover letter that expresses the applicant's interest in the JIA award and confirms that they meet eligibility criteria
2. A letter of support from the department chair or supervisor (not to exceed one page)
3. Standard NIH Bio sketch (not to exceed five pages)
4. A one-page description of Specific Aims or Personal Aspirations. This document may be a specific aims page from a career development award and describes the key focus of the candidate's proposed research. Alternatively, the candidate may submit an overview of their research interests and how these intersect the practice of hospital-based medicine.
5. Supplementary information (not to exceed three pages) which should include each of the following:
- Area of Interest and Impact of research: the anticipated impact the research may have/has had on hospital medicine, the practice of inpatient medicine, or policies related to hospital-based care on a local, regional or national level.
- Career achievements and milestones: these should describe the candidate’s achievements in the form of scholarly products (e.g., abstracts, peer-reviewed publications, intra- and extra-mural grant funding, national/international invited talks)
- Engagement with the Society of Hospital Medicine: the candidate should describe their involvement with the Society e.g. years of SHM membership; involvement with SHM committees, task forces or panels for scientific meetings, presentation of research at SHM meetings (abstracts, posters, and oral sessions); participation at SHM local or regional meetings (including local chapters); attendance at various SHM sponsored activities etc. If applicant has limited engagement in SHM, please describe engagement in other national hospital-medicine engagement as well as future plans for engagement in SHM
Please note: All nominees must be SHM members in good standing. Nominees may be self-nominated. Applicants may request feedback about their applications after adjudication of the winner.
What the Winner Receives
In honor of his or her achievements, the recipient receives:
- Complimentary one-year SHM membership and registration to SHM’s Annual Conference (more than $1200 value)
- Recognition at SHM’s Annual Conference
- Acknowledgment in The Hospitalist, SHM’s monthly news magazine, and on SHM's website
- The winner will present the Junior Investigator Award commendation talk (30 minutes) during SHM Converge
How to Apply
Congratulations to the 2024 Awards of Excellence winners.
Nominations for the 2024-2025 Awards of Excellence will open in July 2024.
For questions or if you need more information, please email email@example.com