Terms and Conditions of Use
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE
SOCIETY OF HOSPITAL MEDICINE WEBSITES
6. Personal Login Information. Certain features and areas of the SHM websites are available only with registration, login and/or a paid subscription. If you are required to register and select a unique login and password ("Personal Login Information"), you must keep your Personal Login Information confidential. Your Personal Login Information is personal to you and you may not allow any third-party to use it under any circumstances. SHM is not liable for any harm caused by or related to the theft, misappropriation, disclosure, or unauthorized use of your Personal Login Information. You must contact SHM immediately if you become aware of or believe there is or may have been any unauthorized use of your Personal Login Information, or otherwise wish to deactivate your Personal Login Information due to security concerns.
8. User Obligations. You warrant that you will abide by all applicable local, state, national and international laws and regulations with respect to your use of the SHM websites and not interfere with the use and enjoyment of the SHM websites by other users or with SHM’s operation and management of the SHM websites. You will, at all times, provide true, accurate, current, authorized, and complete information when submitting information or materials on the SHM websites, including, without limitation, information required to be provided through an SHM registration form. If any false, inaccurate, untrue, unauthorized or incomplete information is submitted by you, SHM reserves the right to terminate your access and use of the SHM websites. You warrant that you will not impersonate any other person or entity, whether actual or fictitious, when using the SHM websites, or defame or otherwise harm any party, including SHM, through your use of the SHM websites.
9. User-Generated Content. SHM welcomes your views, comments and other communications, pictures, trackback URLs, or videos on our the SHM websites which may include discussion boards, blogs and other services that allow users to provide feedback, comment or content ("User Content"). By contributing User Content to any of the SHM websites or social media profiles, users understand and acknowledge that this information is available to the public and grant SHM a nonexclusive license to display, reproduce, transmit, modify such User Content and that SHM may use the User Content for internal and external marketing purposes. You are solely responsible for the User Content you submit. If you believe any User Content infringes on your proprietary rights, contact the SHM’s Copyright Agent as identified in the copyright policy. SHM does not approve, endorse, or adopt any User Content, and SHM assumes no liability for any User Content submitted by you or others. You agree to indemnify SHM against all claims and liabilities resulting from User Content. Users who do not wish to have information they have made available via these sites used, published, copied and/or reprinted, should not post on the social media profiles. Please note that other participants may use posted information beyond the control of SHM. All user content is read at your own risk, and SHM recommends that you not rely on the information or advice in any of these postings.
SHM retains the right to remove any content for any reason, including but not limited to, content that it deems threatening, demeaning, profane, obscene, a violation of intellectual property rights or privacy laws, off-topic, commercial or promotion of organizations or programs, or otherwise injurious or illegal. SHM also retains the right to ban or block a user from posting on SHM social media profiles without notice for a pattern of inappropriate postings or as it deems necessary. All user content must comply with the SHM Code of Conduct.
You acknowledge, consent and agree that SHM may access, preserve and disclose your account information and the User Content you have posted by Users of the Services if required to do so by law or in a good faith belief that such access preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary in the sole opinion of SHM to: (a) comply with legal process; (b) enforce the TOU; (c) respond to claims that any Content violates the rights of third parties; (d) respond to your requests for customer service; or (e) protect the rights, property or personal safety of the Administrators, its Users and the public.
10. Proprietary Rights. The content of the SHM websites includes, without limitation, (i) SHM's trademarks, service marks, logos, brands, and brand names, trade dress and trade names and other distinctive identification (collectively "SHM Marks"); and (ii) information, data, materials, interfaces, computer code, databases, products, services, software applications and tools, text, images, photographs, audio and video material, and artwork, and (iii) the design, structure, selection, compilation, assembly, coordination, expression, functionalities, applications, look and feel, and arrangement of any content contained in or available through the SHM websites (the items identified in subsections (i) (ii) and (iii) shall be collectively referred to herein as "SHM Content"). SHM Content is the property of SHM, its licensors, sponsors, partners, advertisers, content providers or other third parties and is protected by law including, but not limited to, United States copyright, trade secret, patent, and trademark law, as well as other state, national and international laws, treaties and regulations. The reproduction, transmission, distribution, sale, publication, broadcast, circulation or dissemination of any SHM Content by you, or by you through any other person or entity, is prohibited unless express written consent is separately obtained from SHM or the owner of such content if SHM is not the owner. Any use of the SHM Marks without SHM's express written consent is strictly prohibited. You may not alter, delete, obscure or conceal any copyright or other notices appearing in the SHM Content, including any such notices appearing on any SHM Content you are permitted to download, transmit, display, print, or reproduce from the SHM websites.
11. Responsibility for Use of the Internet and the SHM websites. Use of the Internet and the SHM websites is solely at your risk and is subject to all applicable local, state, national and international laws and regulations. SHM does not guarantee the confidentiality or security of any communication or other material transmitted to or from the SHM websites over the Internet or other communication network. SHM shall not be obligated to correct or update the SHM websites, the SHM Content or the User-Generated Content and SHM shall not be liable for omissions, typographical errors, or out-of-date information which may appear on the SHM websites.
12. No Medical or Legal Advice and Disclaimer as to Accuracy of Information. SHM’s Content is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice, legal advice, or as a substitute for the medical advice of a physician or other qualified medical provider.
13. Patient Information. State and federal laws, as well as ethical and licensure requirements, may impose obligations with respect to patient confidentiality that may limit your ability to receive, disclose, or make use of Patient Information, including transmitting Patient Information to others. You warrant that you will comply with all laws that may directly or indirectly govern your retrieval, use, transmission, processing, receipt, reporting, disclosure, or storage of Patient Information. You are solely responsible for obtaining and maintaining any patient consents, if applicable, and all other consents or permissions required by law or advisable with respect to your retrieval, use, transmission, processing, receipt, reporting, disclosure or storage of Patient Information. You shall be solely responsible for your retrieval, use or misuse, transmission, processing, receipt, reporting, disclosure or storage of Patient Information.
14. Third-party Information. The SHM websites may feature materials, information, products, and services provided by third parties. Any such information, including but not limited to articles, press clippings, opinions, advice, statements, services, offers, User-Generated Content or other information made available by third parties such as content providers and other users of the SHM websites are those of the respective third-party and not of SHM or its affiliates. SHM makes no representation with respect to, nor does it guarantee or endorse, the quality, non-infringement, accuracy, completeness, timeliness, or reliability of such third-party materials, information, services or products.
15. Advertisers. The SHM websites may contain advertisements of third parties. The inclusion of advertisements on the SHM websites does not imply endorsement of the advertised products or services by SHM. SHM shall not be responsible for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the presence of such advertisements on the SHM websites. Further, SHM shall not be responsible or liable for the statements or conduct of any third-party advertisers appearing on the SHM websites. You shall be solely responsible for any correspondence or transactions you have with any third-party advertisers.
16. Links to Third-party websites. The SHM websites may provide links (including any link through an on-line banner advertisement) to other sites on the Internet for your convenience. These other sites are maintained by third parties over which SHM exercises no control. The appearance of any such third-party links (provided by SHM or by a third-party) is not intended to endorse any particular company or product. If you decide to access any of the third-party sites linked to the SHM websites, you do so entirely at your own risk.
17. Links to SHM websites and SHM Content. Links posted by third parties to the SHM websites and/or SHM Content may not use the SHM trademark or logo and shall not suggest that SHM promotes or otherwise endorses any third-party products, business relationships, services, causes, campaigns, websites, content, or information. Any links to any portion of the SHM websites shall be the responsibility of the linking party. SHM reserves the right to require any linking party to disable or remove any link that violates SHM's rights or causes interruption or deterioration of SHM Content.
18. Warranties Disclaimed. THE SHM WEBSITES AND SHM CONTENT ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE." NEITHER SHM, ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, OR TRUSTEES NOR ANY OF ITS AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES, SUPPLIERS, ADVERTISERS, PROMOTIONAL PARTNERS, OR LICENSORS (COLLECTIVELY "SHM PARTIES") PROVIDE ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY THAT (i) THE SHM WEBSITES OR SHM CONTENT, OR ANY RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED BY YOU, ARE COMPLETE, ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR NON-INFRINGING; (ii) ACCESS TO THE SHM WEBSITES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR FREE; (iii) THE QUALITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, INFORMATION OR OTHER MATERIAL PURCHASED OR OBTAINED BY YOU THROUGH THE SHM WEBSITES WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS; OR (iv) SHM CONTENT WILL REMAIN UNCHANGED OR ACCESSIBLE ON THE SHM WEBSITES. ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ARE DISCLAIMED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND/OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY.
19. Limitation of Liability. THE SHM PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE, AND DISCLAIM ANY LIABILITY, FOR ANY CLAIM, LOSS OR DAMAGE, DIRECT OR INDIRECT, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, COMPENSATORY, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER IN CONNECTION WITH, AS A RESULT OF, OR ARISING (i) OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SHM WEBSITES AND/OR ANY SHM CONTENT; (ii) FROM ANY INTERRUPTION IN THE AVAILABILITY OF THE SHM WEBSITES AND/OR SHM CONTENT; (iii) FROM ANY LOSS OF DATA AND/OR FROM ANY EQUIPMENT FAILURE; (iv) OUT OF THE PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES RESULTING FROM ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE GOODS, CONTENT AND/OR SERVICES PURCHASED OR OBTAINED FROM THE SHM WEBSITES, OR TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO, THROUGH OR FROM THE SHM WEBSITES; (v) FROM UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA; (vi) FROM STATEMENTS OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD-PARTY ON THE SHM WEBSITES; (vii) FROM ANY DELAY OR FAILURE OF THE SHM WEBSITES ARISING OUT OF CAUSES BEYOND SHM'S CONTROL; (viii) OUT OF THE USE OF, REFERENCE TO, OR RELIANCE ON, THE SHM CONTENT; (ix) OUT OF ANY THIRD-PARTY MATERIALS, INFORMATION, PRODUCTS AND SERVICES CONTAINED ON, OR ACCESSED THROUGH, THE SHM WEBSITES (x) OUT OF ANY CONTENT, MATERIALS, ACCURACY OF INFORMATION, AND/OR QUALITY OF THE PRODUCTS, SERVICES OR MATERIALS PROVIDED BY OR ADVERTISED ON THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES; OR (xi) OUT OF ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE SHM WEBSITES OR SHM CONTENT.
20. Exclusions permitted by law. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, BREACH OF CONTRACT OR BREACH OF IMPLIED TERMS, OR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. ACCORDINGLY, ONLY THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS IN SECTIONS 18 AND 19 WHICH ARE LAWFUL IN YOUR JURISDICTION WILL APPLY TO YOU AND SHM'S LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
Neither party consents or agrees to any arbitration on a class or representative basis, and the arbitrator shall have no authority to proceed with an arbitration on a class or representative basis. No arbitration will be consolidated with any other arbitration proceeding without the consent of all parties. Any claim or controversy as to the enforceability of this arbitration provision’s restriction on your right to participate in or pursue a class action or classwide arbitration shall be brought only in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania or any Pennsylvania court located in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania.
28. Statute of Limitations. Regardless of any statute or law to the contrary, any claim or cause of action arising out of or related to your use of the SHM websites must be filed by you within one (1) year after such claim or cause of action arose or be forever barred.