Palliative Care: A Multidisciplinary Approach
Hospitalists are often the providers who support patients and help their families navigate their serious illness, focusing on providing palliative care to manage the pain and stress of that illness, which is a delicate process.
Improving Communication about Serious Illness
SHM’s Center for Quality Improvement and The Hastings Center developed a resource to help improve care for seriously ill patients, focused on communication about prognosis and goals of care by hospitalists with the whole care team.
This resource, “Improving Communications about Serious Illness” is helpful to:
- Individual clinicians hoping to improve their communication skills
- Clinical champions positioned to lead projects to improve serious illness communication
- Service and hospital leadership to understand how to best support hospitalists and their teams in providing the highest quality of care to their seriously ill patients.
Webinar: Advance Care Planning Medicare Reimbursement
On January 1, 2016, Medicare reimbursements were added for two Advanced Care Planning codes.
SHM hosted an educational webinar with key experts Nancy Berlinger, Ph.D, Steven Pantilat, MD, MHM and Joshua Lapps, MA, to address the following:
- The definition of advance care planning
- The development of new advance care planning codes for reimbursement
- The role of hospitalists in facilitating advance care planning and achieving excellence in providing end-of-life care