Participate in the SIP Study
SHM invites you to join the SIP Study (Simultaneously Implementing Pathways for Improving Asthma, Pneumonia, and Bronchiolitis Care for Hospitalized Children).
The Society of Hospital Medicine (SHM) and the Principal Investigator, Dr. Suni Kaiser invite you to apply to participate in this study (Simultaneously Implementing Pathways for Improving Asthma, Pneumonia, and Bronchiolitis Care for Hospitalized Children). These three conditions are the leading causes of childhood hospitalization and participation in SIP will provide your hospital critical supports for improving care quality and health outcomes for children with these conditions, build your team’s long-term capacity for more effective pediatric quality improvement (QI) efforts and connect you to a network of QI collaborators.
Participating sites partake at no cost and receive:
- Individualized mentoring from a pediatric hospitalist with expertise in QI and training in Mentored Implementation methodology
- Educational resources and seminars which review how to support adoption of the latest evidence-based practices in pediatric respiratory illness care, utilize quality improvement methods, and facilitate sustainable practice change
- Access to data center and support for entering, reviewing, and comparing your hospital’s performance to others
- Opportunities to collaborate with other SIP Study sites to support best practice sharing
- Access to clinical pathways, electronic clinical decision support tools, and other implementation resources
- Opportunities for CME/MOC credit, professional development, and more (e.g., authorship)
Participating hospital sites will be asked to secure institutional support from administrative leaders to implement the study/QI interventions, attend regular meetings for QI planning (roughly monthly), collect the requisite data to monitor the impact of the program and interventions over time, and support sustained practice once the program is formally over.
Implementation will launch in July 2022 (half of participating sites/Wave 1 start Mentored Implementation in July 2022, other half of sites/Wave 2 collect performance data then begin Mentored Implementation in July 2024). Wave 1 sites will complete the project in July 2024. Wave 2 sites will complete the project in July 2025.
The application deadline is October 1, 2021. We will notify all applicants by November 1, 2021, if they have been selected to participate in the program.
Note: Free-standing children’s hospitals are not eligible. Please contact Dr. Sunitha Kaiser for any questions.
Please APPLY HERE and/or attend or listen to one of our 30-minute informational webinars for more details.
Monday, August 30, 2021, 11:00 a.m. ET
Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 4:00 p.m. ET
Friday, September 24, 2021, 3:00 p.m. ET
View the Presentation
Participate in the SIP Study and join hospitals nationwide in improving care for pediatric patients.