Society of Hospital Medicine Announces National Hospitalist Day
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 11, 2019
Representing the fastest growing specialty in modern healthcare, the Society of Hospital Medicine (SHM) is the leading medical society for hospitalists and their patients.
Inaugural Day of Recognition to Honor Hospital Medicine Care Team, Invites Hospitalists and Hospital Medicine Groups to Share Success Stories and Impact on Healthcare
The Society of Hospital Medicine (SHM), the leading non-profit medical society serving the hospital medicine care team, proudly announces the inaugural National Hospitalist Day, to be held on Thursday, March 7, 2019. Occurring the first Thursday in March annually, National Hospitalist Day will serve to celebrate the fastest growing specialty in modern medicine and hospitalists’ enduring contributions to the evolving healthcare landscape. It was recently approved by the National Day Calendar and was one of approximately 30 national days to be approved for the year out of an applicant pool of more than 18,000.
“As the only society dedicated to the specialty of hospital medicine, it is only appropriate that SHM spearhead a national day to recognize the countless contributions of hospitalists to healthcare, from clinical, academic and leadership perspectives and more,” says Laurence Wellikson, MD, MHM, Chief Executive officer of SHM. “We look forward to hospitalists across the nation contributing to the festivities and making this a tradition for years to come.”
In addition to celebrating hospitalists’ contributions to patient care, SHM will also be highlighting the varied career paths of hospital medicine professionals, from frontline hospitalist physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants to practice administrators, C-suite executives and academic hospitalists.
Highlights of SHM’s campaign include:
- Downloadable customizable posters and assets for hospitals and individuals’ offices to celebrate their hospital medicine team, available on SHM’s website, hospitalmedicine.org
- A series of spotlights of hospitalists at all stages of their careers in The Hospitalist, SHM’s monthly newsmagazine
- A social media campaign inviting hospitalists and their employers to share their success stories using the hashtag #HowWeHospitalist, including banner graphics, profile photo overlays and more
- A social media contest to determine the most creative ways of celebrating using the hashtag
- A Twitter chat for hospitalists to celebrate virtually with their colleagues and peers from around the world
“Hospitalists innovate, lead and push the boundaries of clinical care and deserve to be recognized for their transformative contributions to healthcare,” notes Christopher Frost, MD, SFHM, President-Elect of SHM’s Board of Directors. “We hope this is the beginning of a long-standing tradition in honoring hospitalists and the noteworthy work they do.”